Based on an in-depth analysis of the literature and informed by a small network of experts, the paper identifies and operationalises an integrated model that consists of seven over-arching action-oriented’ dimensions which show how to transform schools into learning organisations:
- Developing and sharing a vision centred on the learning of all students.
- Creating and supporting continuous learning opportunities for all staff.
- Promoting team learning and collaboration among all staff.
- Establishing a culture of inquiry, innovation and exploration.
- Embedding systems for collecting and exchanging knowledge and learning.
- Learning with and from the external environment and larger learning system.
- Modelling and growing learning leadership.
In short, a school as learning organisation has the capacity to change and adapt routinely to new environments and circumstances as its members, individually and together, learn their way to realising their vision.